Sunday 5 February 2023

Fantastic Toiles Day 1


Earlier today, I was at Fantastic Toiles' first drop of the year, and it was honestly an experience I am unlikely to forget. I arrived early and thought I had the wrong location because from the outside, it looks derelict and abandoned (as pictured below) but on the inside, it is quite the opposite - youthful and energetic.

When I finally entered the shop, I was amazed by the array of intricate and detailed clothes and accessories on display. As I walked around the accessories, I was particularly drawn to the different bags, gloves, and hats on display. But, the highlight of my visit was a set of beads from Bailey N/A. Something about these beads was just magical and I knew I had to have them.
 

Nasir was kind enough to give me a few quotes for udmusic, which will be included in an upcoming article. I was so impressed by the fact that Nasir gives upcoming designers a platform to showcase their work and doesn't charge them a commission or anything. In my opinion, this helps show just how much of a community Fantastic Toiles is.

I also had the chance to buy the second Fantastic Toiles 'Offerings' book and started reading it on my way home. The beginning statement left me in tears and I realized just how magical the place is and the impact they are making in the fashion industry. One quote, in particular, struck me, "by us, for us =/= for you, by us." This really shows how much Nasir and the rest of the Fantastic Toiles team care about what they make and how they feel as artists.



My visit to Fantastic Toiles was an incredible experience that I don't think I will forget anytime soon, if ever and I am already eager to go back tomorrow despite the hour-long travel time. It is amazing to see a place where people can indulge in their passion for fashion and art without any constraints or limitations. I definitely recommend that you head down to their next drop which I don't doubt will be just as magical. Keep scrolling for a look at my favourite items and looks they had for sale (apologies for the low quality).


For more information on Fantastic Toiles check their Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nick Knight: Shattering Boundaries and Defining Visual Artistry for Almost Half a Century

In the world of photography, it is challenging to find anyone more influential than Nick Knight . At 64 years old, Knight is a British "...